Daryl Devore's Blog

Daryl Devore's Blog

Monday 6 February 2023

A teenager's worse nightmare. Daryl Devore talks about the book that angered her on #BooksandMore #mackadebloghop #DarylDevore #author

Welcome to the #BooksandMore blog hop. A chance for writers to talk about more than our books and a chance for readers to meet and get to know the writers.

This week’s theme is - A book you got very mad at.

I'm guessing you mean besides a math text book. In gr 11 (3 yr in high school), I took a literature course. Dumbest course I took. Disliked most of the books we read and liked the one book everybody disliked.

Book that made me angry - torn between 2. Lord of the Rings - Tolkien. I know that will get me in trouble - but it just didn't capture me. But get angry - ok - let's go with this one.

In the book, the father dies and the books takes the reader through the family's grieving. Not my issue. My problem is there was a little boy. Too young to understand what was happening. Since the adults understood and were too wrapped up in their grief, no one took the time to check in on the boy or try to explain anything. Then along came the Priest/Minister/religious person. 

The little boy is antsy, bored and scared but doesn't know why. He won't sit still. The adults were all - children should be seen and not heard. And - your father is dead - sit there, shut up and act appropriate. 

The religious figure scolds the little boy for not behaving. The kid was 6-ish. 

We had to read our reports to the class. The entire rest of the class read these heartfelt papers about the pain they felt, the beauty of the writing. The teacher - Mrs. P sat there with a contented looked on her face.

I read mine. All the while watching the teacher's face get red and and angry and my best friend behind me - Kathy - kicking my seat and hissing - shut up.

My report ripped into the indifference and callousness of the religious person - who should have been the most compassionate person in the room. He offered comfort to everyone but the child. I said what I needed to. The boy needed a hug, not being scolded. 

When I finished, I turned around to Kathy who was wide eyed. She leaned in close and whispered - Don't you know, Mrs. P's husband is a minister?

Needless to say, my grade for that paper was not stellar. And to add insult to everything - a couple of months later - Mrs. P and her husband moved into the house next to mine.

Teenager's worst nightmare - their English teacher living next door to them.

What was the one book in the course I liked that everyone else disliked - Lord of the Flies. 

Now hop over and read the other blog posts and - get to know them better. https://viviana-mackade.blog/all-the-things-blog-hop-bookblogger-booklover-bookworm-mackadebloghop/

 What’s on in February

7 – Spotlight – Dan Rice - The Blood of Faeries

8 - Book Hooks #MFRWhooks #MFRWAuthor

9 -

10 - My Blog. My Post. My Books

11 - Backlist Saturday Spotlight

12 - Weekend Writing Warriors #8Sunday

13A – Open Book Blog Hop #OpenBook

13B – Books & More Blog Hop #BooksandMore

14 – Steam hop #MFRWsteam

15 - Book Hooks #MFRWhooks #MFRWAuthor

16 -

17 - My Blog. My Post. My Books

18 - Backlist Saturday Spotlight

19 - Weekend Writing Warriors #8Sunday

20A – Open Book Blog Hop #OpenBook

20B – Books & More Blog Hop #BooksandMore

21 – Spotlight -

22 - Book Hooks #MFRWhooks #MFRWAuthor

23 -

24 - My Blog. My Post. My Books

25 - Backlist Saturday Spotlight

26 - Weekend Writing Warriors #8Sunday

27A – Open Book Blog Hop #OpenBook

27B – Books & More Blog Hop #BooksandMore

28 – Spotlight – Lilliana Rose - Shadow Wolf

 

Follow me 

                    Twitter                                          Mastodon

 

Author Group / Newsletter

 

 or if you prefer -

 
or if you'd prefer
 
 
 
A free ebook for members who join.
 

4 comments:

  1. I'm not going to start a discussion on how religious people are usually the ones missing the point entirely. I'm from Italy, Pope's land, and I know what I'm talking about. I love what you wrote back then. And I'm with you about Tolkien.I tried to read it, I really did, but nope. Give me the movie any time, but not the book(s). There. Now we're in trouble together, and I like the company. Shared

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn’t dislike TLOTR but I could have done without the elvish poems.

    Good for you for being honest and your teacher should not have been so biased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a long time ago. Things were looked at differently.

      Delete