Daryl Devore's Blog

Daryl Devore's Blog

Monday 1 May 2023

Read Daryl Devore's answer to - Does every book have to have a moral? on the #OpenBook Blog Hop #writers #DarylDevore


Welcome to the Open Book Blog Hop! This week’s theme -

Does every book have to have a moral?

Simple answer - no. I write commerical fiction. In other words "escapism". Romances where 2 unlikely people meet, fall in love, overcome some obstacles then live happily ever after.

When I read a book it is for the same reason - escapism. I want to grab an Agatha Christie and settle down in an old manor house and work out "who dun it". 

I don't want to be preached at. The character's morals might not be the same as mine. I leave those stories to literary fiction. They can get deep into morals and societal ills and all that. But that's not for me in either my writing or my reading.

Now, please visit the other #OpenBook Blog Hop writers. You can find their posts at


What’s Happening in May

2 – Spotlight – Kyle A. Massa - Eggs for the Ageless

3 - Book Hooks #MFRWhooks #MFRWAuthor

4 – Motivational Thursday

5 - My Blog. My Post. My Books

6 - Backlist Saturday Spotlight

7 - Weekend Writing Warriors #8Sunday

8 - Open Book Blog Hop #OpenBook

9 – Steam hop #MFRWsteam

10 - Book Hooks #MFRWhooks #MFRWAuthor

11 – Motivational Thursday

12 - Spotlight - Adrianna Kraft -

13 - Backlist Saturday Spotlight

14 - Weekend Writing Warriors #8Sunday

15 - Open Book Blog Hop #OpenBook

16 – Spotlight – Lisa Towles - Salt Island

17 - Book Hooks #MFRWhooks #MFRWAuthor

18 -

19 - My Blog. My Post. My Books

20 - Backlist Saturday Spotlight

21 - Weekend Writing Warriors #8Sunday

22 - Open Book Blog Hop #OpenBook

23 – Spotlight – Nancy Lee Badger -The Rogue’s Ring

24 – Book Hooks #MFRWhooks #MFRWAuthor

25 –

26 – My Blog. My Post. My Books

27 – Backlist Saturday Spotlight

28 – Weekend Writing Warriors #8Sunday

29 – Open Book Blog Hop #OpenBook

30 – Spotlight – Christina Wallace - The Light Keeper

31 – Book Hooks #MFRWhooks #MFRWAuthor

 

Follow me

Twitter           Mastodon


BookBub

Author Group / Newsletter

 or if you prefer -

 
or if you'd prefer
 
 
 
A free ebook for members who join.

5 comments:

  1. I've always tried to include a moral to my stories. The one book where I didn't (Revenge) has readers polarised and almost equal in their hate and love reviews. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite right, I'm trying to create fiction that feels like real life. Morals don't always apply to real life, even if you think they should

    ReplyDelete
  3. We get preached at so much in our daily lives, it's nice to pick up a book that doesn't join in the cacophony.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurray for escapism! @samanthabwriter from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete