Daryl Devore's Blog

Daryl Devore's Blog

Saturday 5 February 2022

Backlist Saturday Spotlight - The story behind the why of Daryl Devore's Dark Chocolate and Strawberries. #hotread #twisted #fairytale #DarylDevore

What is the story behind Dark Chocolate and Strawberries?

Is it some deep mystery full of intrigue? Sorry, no.

I was a new author. One book published. Felt like I ruled the world. My publisher was also new and put out a call for rewrites of fairy tales or legends etc. It would be the theme for all the authors with the publisher to help promote it.

No idea why - Little Red Riding Hood popped into my head, but that's the fairy tale I chose. And it was fun to write. It's the fastest I have ever written a book. I think it was 3 weeks.

I had the plot and characters. I'm a pantser, so having this laid out already made the job much easier.

I had Little Red, her mother, her grandmother, the lumberjack and the big bad wolf. 

Oh, and the plot. Something is wrong with grandmother and mother sends Red over with some treats. Along the way she meets the lumberjack and the wolf. Some drama occurs and everyone lives happily ever after.

Codicil to that - in some versions the lumberjack kills the wolf, but I dislike that ending. I prefer the wolf is chased away. Wolves are beautiful creatures and don't deserve the bad rep they get.

So that's how it was written. My publisher asked. I wrote. Sorry, no intrigue. LOL

What's a naughty fairy tale like Red Riding Hood without Red, the huntsman, grandma and especially, the big bad wolf?

Esmerelda 'Red' Hood is summoned to her mother's executive suite only to learn her sweet granny is headed for a romantic cruise with a gigolo. Horrified, Red races off to save her grandma before it's too late.

On board, Red meets Andrew Woodsman and Willem Olf. One a cutie with the biggest puppy eyes and the other a dark, sophisticated predator. Her grandmother's warning rings in Red's ear "Never trust a wolf in sheep's clothing."

Even with the warning, Red has trouble choosing which man could be the big bad wolf and which could be her happily ever after.

 UBL 

BookBub

BookSprout

Pinterest Board for DARK CHOCOLATE AND STRAWBERRIES

GoodReads

Next Saturday - a hot excerpt to get everyone in the mood for Valentine's Day.

 What's happening in February on

 Romance – Sweet to Heat

6 – Weekend Writing Warriors #8Sunday

7 – #OpenBook Blog Hop

8 – SteamHop - Dark Chocolate and Strawberries

9 – Book Hooks #MFRWhooks #MFRWAuthor

10 – Daryl’s Musings - Newsletter

11 – My Blog. My Post. My Books

12 – Backlist Saturday Spotlight – Dark Chocolate and Strawberries

13 – Weekend Writing Warriors #8Sunday

14 – #OpenBook Blog Hop

15 – SPOTLIGHT – Numerous Authors - Eclipsing Hearts

16 – Book Hooks #MFRWhooks #MFRWAuthor

17 – Flashette – free read

18 – Special Spotlight - Viviana MacKade -Valkyrie Love

19 – Backlist Saturday Spotlight – Dark Chocolate and Strawberries

20 – Weekend Writing Warriors #8Sunday

21 – #OpenBook Blog Hop

22 – SPOTLIGHT – David H. Millar - The Conall Series

23 – Book Hooks #MFRWhooks #MFRWAuthor

24 – SPOTLIGHT – Tina Donahue – Privilege

25 – My Blog. My Post. My Books

26 – Backlist Saturday Spotlight – Dark Chocolate and Strawberries

27 – Weekend Writing Warriors #8Sunday

28 – #OpenBook Blog Hop

Follow Me on Twitter

Sign up for my every other month newsletter 

No comments:

Post a Comment