Daryl Devore's Blog

Daryl Devore's Blog

Friday 27 May 2022

Daryl Devore's My Books. My Blog. My Post. Sometimes you just need a little kick in the pants. #writing #writingcommunity #WIP #DarylDevore

 
 I just finished my latest WIP – a medieval fantasy romance. It is currently 106,000 words. (To be honest – I didn’t know I knew that many words – LOL)

I was discussing this with my fabulous cp (critique partner) and said I was a bit worried about the word count. I tried cutting some words, but it seemed every few I cut out I just then added a bit more elsewhere - so I was going nowhere fast.

She said not to worry about the word count.

I replied – I get fantasy stories have higher counts as they have to world build. But this isn’t a “fantasy”. It’s a fantasy romance and romance books have lower word counts. My last fantasy did get a complaint about the description. So I am a bit aware of the word count.

Then she hit me with the kick in the pants.

“You know, a very wise woman once told me, don’t get bogged down. I’ll pass the advice. Just be very very happy and proud of your story and forget the (reasonable) word count.”

Well that “very wise woman” who gave her the advice was me. Why can’t we take out own advice???

Anyway – I sent the book to my fantasy expert beta and commented on being concerned about the word total. Her reply - First, never cut words unless absolutely necessary on fantasy/sci-fi books… then she justified her comment.

OK – I get it. I will take my own advice and not get bogged down. And I won’t worry about the word count unless my beta tells me to.

With a bit of luck – this book will be released in Sept. So more to come on it.

The working title is – Not a Troll.  Which is so NOT the title.

And here’s a fantasy photo to tease you about the story.


 

 What's happening in May on

 Romance – Sweet to Heat

28 – Backlist Saturday Spotlight

29 – Weekend Writing Warriors #8Sunday

30 – #OpenBook Blog Hop 

31 – Spotlight – Jana Richards – The Masonville Series

Follow Me on Twitter

Sign up for my every other month newsletter 

2 comments: