Daryl Devore's Blog

Daryl Devore's Blog

Thursday 6 December 2018

What little trick do you have to get past a hump in the writing road? #shouldbewriting

There are times when the words won't flow. I'm not talking writer's block - just a stall in the word flow.

I posted a humourous vent on FB one day about this. I couldn't write 2 words without erasing 1 or both. I am quite sure by the end of the day I had a negative word count.

I don't usually set goals. I'll set deadlines - like the bathroom has to be painted by Friday or I'd really like the finish writing this book by the end of the month.

But the deadlines are these because I know something is happening - like  Saturday we're having company

So what do I do when the words don't flow? Confession time - I play games. My current favourites are Microsoft Solitaire, Mahjong, and Microsoft Ultimate Word Games.



Do you know what the missing word is?


 Do you know what the word is?

(if it's driving you crazy look in my tags)

Why do I "waste" precious writing time doing something so frivolous? Or why don't I do something more productive - go for a walk - clean the house.

A- Trying to force the words only frustrates me and that leads me to chocolate and I could do with a bit less chocolate at the moment.

B - Not going off to clean the house or go for a walk. If an idea does strike I can switch to word processor and type away. (Going for a walk isn't high on the list at the moment as the temp started today above freezing and is plummeting - not just dropping. It is plummeting like a cannonball out of the sky!)

C - This is the important reason I like to play games. Without going deep into the biology - when you perform a mindless task - the creative center of your brain (or muse) can work on the "problem".
I'll be shifting cards in a game of Solitaire and suddenly the solution to the corner I wrote myself into pops into my head. Thank you Microsoft. You've given me some fun times of idle playing and some moments of inspiration.

What little trick do you have to get past a hump in the writing road?




What's happening in December on Romance -  Sweet to Heat
7 - Fridays in Space
8 - SPOTLIGHT – Victoria Adams – Christmas in a Flash
9- Weekend Writing Warriors #8Sunday
10- Author Spotlight – Liza O’Connor - Saving Sentry
11- Author Spotlight – Isobel Blackthorn - Twerk
12- Book Hooks #MFRWhooks #MFRWAuthor
13- Thursday #Yoga
14 – Fridays in Space
15 – SPOTLIGHT – Victoria Adams – Christmas in a Flash
16-  Weekend Writing Warriors #8Sunday
17 – Author Spotlight – Various Authors – Seduced Under the Mistletoe
18 – Author Spotlight – Victoria Adams – Christmas in a Flash
19 – Book Hooks #MFRWhooks #MFRWAuthor
20 - Author Spotlight – Georgia Lynn Hunter – Heart’s Inferno
21 – Fridays in Space
22 – SPOTLIGHT – Victoria Adams – Christmas in a Flash
23 - Weekend Writing Warriors #8Sunday
24 – Author Spotlight – Victoria Adams – Christmas in a Flash
25 – Closed for Christmas
26 – Closed for Christmas
27 - Thursday #Yoga
28 – Fridays in Space
29 – SPOTLIGHT – Victoria Adams – Christmas in a Flash
30 – Weekend Writing Warriors #8Sunday
31 – Closed for New Years

No comments:

Post a Comment