Daryl Devore's Blog

Daryl Devore's Blog

Thursday 13 December 2018

My Favourite Author - Agatha Christie #shouldbewriting


My Favourite Author.

Changing things up a bit for a couple of weeks - trying to get snap out of the winter blahs. It's only mid-Decemeber - a lot of winter and a lot of blah still to go.

I am posting about My Favourite Authors. These authors and their books have been my “friends” since I was quite young. To start my series, I guess I’ll start with number 1 – Agatha Christie. She is best known for her mysteries. Her two most famous detectives are Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple.



Photo – from the Agatha Christie Website - http://www.agathachristie.com/agatha-christie-unfinished-portrait/

Let’s run through the minutiae of this wonderful author
Agatha Christie was born on Sept 15, 1890 in England. She died Jan 12, 1976.
She wrote 66 novels and 14 short story collections and I have them all. Plus the 6 romances she wrote under the pseudonym Mary Westmacott. In 1971, Queen Elizabeth made her a Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire

Her books.
Her first book was The Mysterious Affair at Styles and not only introduced the world to her wonderful books, but also to the delightful Belgium detective Hercule Poirot.
Miss Marple was not introduced until 1927.
I have copies of some stories in different languages. Family have purchased them for me when away on holidays. Dame Christies is one of the top most-translated authors of all time. I have the Companion book that lists all the books in order and gives a synopsis of each story. I have her biography, the latest book about her mysterious disappearance and her posthumously published book about her world tour. Fascinating letters to her mother and daughter about her travels at a time when plane travel was not the norm.
And no – I’m not going to list all 66. Here’s the link to her website instead. http://www.agathachristie.com/christies-work/stories/

Why I like these books. As I said they are friends. On a snowy winter day, I love to cuddle under a blanket, near the woodstove, a cup of hot chocolate beside me and an Agatha Christie mystery in my hand. I have read them all numerous times.  t is a delightful to watch how she confuses the reader as it is to be surprised by the who-dun-it.

If you’ve never read an Agatha Christie book, purchase a paperback – as that’s how they are supposed to be read – and settle down for a quiet afternoon read. She will transport you back in time and wrap you up in a wonderful story.


What's happening in December on Romance -  Sweet to Heat
14 – Fridays in Space
15 – SPOTLIGHT – Victoria Adams – Christmas in a Flash
16-  Weekend Writing Warriors #8Sunday
17 – Author Spotlight – Various Authors – Seduced Under the Mistletoe
18 – Author Spotlight – Victoria Adams – Christmas in a Flash
19 – Book Hooks #MFRWhooks #MFRWAuthor
20 - Author Spotlight – Georgia Lynn Hunter – Heart’s Inferno
21 – Fridays in Space
22 – SPOTLIGHT – Victoria Adams – Christmas in a Flash
23 - Weekend Writing Warriors #8Sunday
24 – Author Spotlight – Victoria Adams – Christmas in a Flash
25 – Closed for Christmas
26 – Closed for Christmas
27 - Thursday #Yoga
28 – Fridays in Space
29 – SPOTLIGHT – Victoria Adams – Christmas in a Flash
30 – Weekend Writing Warriors #8Sunday
31 – Closed for New Years

No comments:

Post a Comment