Daryl Devore's Blog

Daryl Devore's Blog

Thursday 25 October 2018

My thoughts on the power of words and the fragility of a writer's ego. #mythoughts

The power of words and the fragility of a writer's ego.


And as it turns out - that criticism from a friend can smack you down even harder.  A few weeks ago I had a rough week - in the real world - daughter and a close friend had some huge issues that were basically unsolvable, but they needed to vent.

Suddenly the limited 140 characters of a tweet was really appealing. Say it in 140 characters and move on. Not a 3 page email or a 2 hr phone call. So while I'm dealing with that I received a criticism which knocked me for a loop. 

The words came at me from 2 directions - 1 an agent I was submitting to and 2 - a person - though not a friend - a colleague.  A few simple words  and my day went to "hell in a hand basket".

That's the power of words - a writer can chose a few, string them together and create a line that lives in a reader's heart.  Think back to your favourite book - is there a line from it that catches your breath. Or if you're not a book reader, think back to your favourite movie - a line from it. A writer still wrote the line ;-)

A powerful thing words and written one way can crush a writer or written the other can lift a spirit. Here are 6 words a friend sent me to cheer me out of my funk. It made me smile. That's the power of words.






What's happening in October on Romance - Sweet to Heat
26 – SPOOKAPALOZZA Party
27 – SPOTLIGHT – Dark Chocolate and Strawberries
28 - Weekend Writing Warriors #8Sunday
29 – NEBT - Author Spotlight –
30 – Author Spotlight –
31 - Book Hooks #MFRWhooks #MFRWAuthor

No comments:

Post a Comment