Daryl Devore's Blog

Daryl Devore's Blog

Tuesday 14 November 2023

What is so important about a flower? #writing #writer #romance

 

 For instance, this red rose is the symbol of love given by Prince Hawkyns to Derry on the day of their betrothal. (Spoiler alert to those of you who haven’t read it)

It was the wrong time of the year for roses to be in bloom, but when a faerie queen is on your side – magick can happen.

 

With a serene smile, the abbot turned to Hawkyns. “Clasp hands and face each other.”

Hawkyns held out his hands and grasped Derry’s. “I wish I could give ye a token of my love, but 'tis too early for—”

A single red rose floated downward. Hawkyns grabbed it then handed it to Derry. He looked up. “Thank ye, Fira.”

Returning his gaze to Derry, he said, “I will build ye a garden full of red roses. And each petal will represent my love for ye.”

“And I will cherish each petal with all my heart.”

 

Red roses symbolize romance. They are one of my favourite flowers. I have a scented red rose bush on my deck. The colour and the fragrance bring such joy to my heart. But they are not the only flower I have used in my stories.

 

In another book – The Gift – it’s a tulip that’s center of the story. Why? I don’t remember other than the line that is repeated throughout the story and in 2 languages is basically the opening sentence- "When was the last time you were offered the gift of a red tulip?"

 

The tulip represents whatever the reader wants it to. That’s the mystery of this quirky little story. I never explain the tulip. I never explain a lot of things in the story. I left that for the reader’s imagination.

 

Flowers are important to me. I tend my flower garden in the summer. In the winter, I watch Gardener’s World and read gardening books and dream of amazing flower displays. While on top of a mountain this past summer, I was taking photos of the flowers rather than the “majestic view” before me.


 


 From my garden





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Join my Author Group - Daryl Devore's Musings

3 ways - FB, MeWe or I can email you.

Free ebook for those who join.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/738845900663510


https://mewe.com/join/daryldevoresmusing


No comments:

Post a Comment